Tuesday 8 March 2011

Faros Hotel and Cafe Bar, Sirkeci, Istanbul

It seems fashionable modern-looking bars and cafes are now appearing on the dining scene of Istanbul at such ferocious speed, it reminds me of the sight when countless mushrooms spring up all over the fields after the summer rains. Nowadays there are so many trendy and stylish eating places in and around the district of Sirkeci in Istanbul, sometimes it is really difficult to decide which place to go to for a drink.


During my latest visit to Istanbul, the weather was not being very kind to visitors, so instead of venturing outside in the face of freezing winds and heavy rain, I decided to sit out the chilly winter days in a nice, comfortable cafe instead.


My original plan was to have a drink and dinner in the beautiful district of Bebek near the Bosphorus, after a day out on the Asian side of the multi-milion metropole, but it was so cold and windy outside, I really did not feel like going all the way up the Bosphorus to Bebek in the evening rain. Hence I thought it might be a better idea to find a nice place near the hotel I stayed at in Sirkeci and have my dinner there.


As I walked past this brightly-lit place called Faros Hotel, I saw the stylish-looking bar-restaurant downstairs, and the sign that Illy coffee are being served here. No matter where I go, if I see a place that serves espresso made with Illy coffee beans, I will almost always be tempted to give it a try.


As anyone who has been to Istanbul surely knows, there is always someone standing outside each and every cafe in Sultanahmet or Sirkeci, who tries to persuade tourists to have a drink or snack in their restaurant, so I usually avoid places that hassel foreign tourists. But I did make an exception for this place, not just because they have Illy caffe inside, but it was probably the first time on my numerous visits to Turkey that I feel the person who was standing outside the door  did not do it just to get customers into the shop, but was genuinely convinced that their place was worth a try.


The place starts to fill up in the afternoon; by early evening, most places are already taken. I was there early enough to get a seat with a direct view of the busy street outside. It was fun to have a cocktail drink and looking at how tourists and shopkeepers interact at various carpet and souvenior stores right opposite the restaurant at the same time. It was the first time I could stare long and hard into the display windows of a carpet shop in Turkey without the need of constantly trying to politely decline the shopkeeper's invitiation of turkish tea or coffee in the shop.


The variety of non-alcoholic cocktails available in the cafe are somewhat limited, but I found this concoction of pineapple and orange jucie, freshly-squeezed apple juice, lime juice and some pomegranate juice very refreshing and tasty.


Or try out this freshly squeezed green apple with mint leaves and fresh lime juice for those who are looking for something more tangy and sour. By Istanbul standards, non-alcoholic cocktails here are rather reasonably priced, be expected to pay about 7-10TL for a glass of such mixed non-alcoholic cocktails.


This cafe is located on the ground of Faros Hotel, and is open from 7 in the morning till late (about mid-night).

Faros Hotel Istanbul
Divanyolu, No. 76,
Sultanahmet /Sirkeci
Istanbul

Copyrights@2011. All text and photos by YC Cheng. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment