Tuesday 8 March 2011

A Charming Little Tea House in Kabatas, Istanbul

Across the road from the Kabatas ferry landing is a charming little tea house located in an equally charming small Ottoman era building with a marble fountain. I am not sure if this place has any name, since there is no sign post or name boards outside, but from what I gathered (I might be wrong though, so please excuse me if my  rudimentary Turkish has let me down), this beautiful building was part of a historical mosque complex  (the Findikli Molla Çebeli Camii) dated from the mid-16th century. 


The small tea and coffee house is being run by two friendly old gentlemen who speak a little bit English. Conveniently located just a few steps away from the Kabatas tramway station, it is a nice place to have a few glasses of Turkish tea if you are on your way from/to Taksim, Besiktas or Eminonu. 


I have seen this place a few times while passing through this part of Kabatas while travelling on the bus, but it was not until a cold winter day last December that I finally had the opportunity to stop at this little tea house and have something to drink inside. Nothing beats a cold wintry day in Istanbul like a few glasses of freshly brewed hot Turkish tea.


The tea house is fairly small, with just a couple of tables and chairs, but there is a cosy, intimate atmosphere not easily found in some other more modern or stylish places. Outside seatings are also available and I can very well imagine its popularity during warmer summer months, but in winter, when it was bitterly cold outside, it is better to stay indoor and enjoy the warmth of this cute little place.


Copyrights@2011. All text and photos by YC Cheng. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment